A Chance for Christians and Liberty-Minded People to Stand Up against Tyranny
On 17 May 2019, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi will bring up the Equality Act (HR 5) to a vote. For the reasons outlined in the rest of this page, I hope that this measure fails magnanimously.
If implemented, the Equality Act would expand the definition of the word sex in the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include “gender identity” and “sexual orientation” as legally protected classes. The result will unleash radical liberals to attack those whose faith teaches that marriage is only between one man and one woman and that sexual identity of male and female is a fixed, biological fact.
By government edict, business owners, employees, and customers alike will be subject to a radical LGBT agenda that would bend them in the following ways:
- Churches would be required to marry same-sex couples.
- Female business owners, customers, and employees would then be forced to share their privacy in restrooms and dressing rooms with men who claim to be women.
- Health care providers and professionals would be forced to perform gender transition procedures (sex changes) and provide medical services (hormone therapy) that would violate their moral and religious convictions.
- Amusement parks, recreation centers, skating rinks, and daycare centers, etc. will be forced to employ people whose values on sexuality deviates from those of the employer.
- Adoption and foster care agencies will be forced to place children into same sex households and into homes of individuals suffering from gender confusion.
- College sports programs would be required to allow men who identify as women to compete as women in sports competitions
- College and professional sports stadiums would be required to open its restrooms to either sex.
The Democratic Party has clearly laid out their intent to force Christians into subjugation to radical sexual deviancy. The Party’s platform states, “We support a progressive vision of religious freedom that respects pluralism and rejects the misuse of religion to discriminate.”
The “progressive vision” of religious liberty for Democrats was recently made visible by Chai Feldblum, the former fixer for Micelle Obama and commissioner of the Obama administration’s Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Feldblum set the “progressive direction” of the Democratic Party through her statement (emphasis mine):
I’m having a hard time coming up with any case in which religious liberty should win… Sexual liberty should win in most cases. There can be a conflict between religious liberty and sexual liberty, but in almost all cases the sexual liberty should win because that’s the only way that the dignity of gay people can be affirmed in any realistic manner.
Here are some additional resources on the Equality Act that you can read and share with others:
- Citizen Tom: “Another Misnamed Bill”
- Truth2Freedom: Trump Opposes LGBT Equality Act – It’s ‘Filled with Poison Pills’
- Prayers and Promises: It’s Time for All Christians Everywhere to Call your Congressman
- PA Pundits – International: Video: Transgender Students Ruin Girls’ Sports
Additionally, look back at this previous post here at the Mark 1:1 blog: